Like Moan, my memory is not what it used to be.
One of my favorite memories of Grandma is when she was visiting us one winter after Grandpa had passed, and one of our neighbors had died and everyone in my family left to go to the funeral, and I got to spend a few hours all by myself with Grandma. It had been snowing pretty hard, and I remember starting to get so worried that my family wouldn't be able to get home, and Grandma sat down and had me crawl up on her lap and she looked me right in the eyes and told me that I was way too young to have worries like that, and that she was absolutely sure that every one in my family would make it home from the funeral safely. She asked what she could do to help take my mind off of my worries, and I asked if she would tell me a story, and I bet every single one of you know what story I heard. In her sweet little voice she started, "I'll tell you a story of Hunkanory.. And now my story's begun... I'll tell you another, about his brother, and now my story is done." And then she kissed me on the cheek, and I didn't worry a minute more.
Another memory I have is of Grandma visiting us after she and Aunt Brenda went to Jerusalem. I sat at her feet as she told of all their adventures, and sat in awe as she showed us all her treasures. I felt so special to get a piece of Frankincense from her, and I still have it to this day. And every time I look at it, I instantly think of Grandma. Another exciting thing that happened that same night, it was a very windy night, and we were listening to her stories when we all of a sudden heard a loud cracking sound. We went outside to investigate only to find out that one of our big pine trees had fallen over. And I remember Grandma leaning over to me and whispering, "I guess that's what happens when you get old and frail huh?"
I have so many more memories, but if I keep going then I will never be able to stop crying, so thanks for all the wonderful memories Grandma! I love you!!
Til we meet again!
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment