Friday, December 03, 2010

I'm finding that as I get older I'm losing some of the memories from my childhood as well (as evidenced by the story sharing during a trip to my Grandma Westover's funeral earlier this year with Eric, Rhonda & Ruth - so many stories I couldn't remember... sad! Fun trip, anyway!) But I do have many memories of visiting Grandma & Grandpa at the home in Helena, and trips to the State Capital building and of course to the sign shop! (I wonder where my personalized chalk board ended up?) I remember certain things about their house, but I wish I had pictures to look at to help me remember specific rooms (I remember fun wallpaper somewhere?), but I remember for some reason loving to play on their steps and on the piano. I also have memories of opening special Christmas packages... rocking chairs, hand crocheted hair clips... and I kept every single birthday card sent from Grandma and Grandpa.

After I suffered my first miscarriage I received the following note from Grandma, along with a delicate figure of a mother sitting on a wooden bunch with a little girl holding up flowers to the mother... the mother and daughter were formed from dried corn-husks... I believe my mom got them while she was on her mission.

Dear Ramona,
I had just wrapped this little package to express my delight at the news that you were to become a mother when your Mother's email came with your sad news. My heart aches for you. I know how you are feeling having gone thru the experience myself, and can tell you that you will feel extra joy when you eventually hold your little one in your arms. I know that will happen, so decided you should have the enclosed now--which I have treasured since your mother sent it to me from Germany. May you enjoy the same sweet companionship with that coming offspring that your mother and I have always had! God bless you. Grandma Macbeth

Her thoughtfulness has always touched my heart whenever I think of this painful time in my life, and I look forward to passing this treasure on to Riley when she becomes a mother. And Grandma was right, I did feel extra joy when I was finally handed the precious bundle that was Riley! I always knew that Grandma loved me, but like Ruth said, we kind of have a lot of grandkids in this family, so it was extra touching to me to know that she had shown so much consideration and love for me during my heartache. Must be how the Savior feels about all of us. Thank you for your beautiful example of pure, Christ-like love Grandma!

4 comments:

Ruth Sagers said...

Aw, man! Stop with the tear-jerker stories! Everyone at work thinks I'm a crying lunatic this week :) Good story, Mon, thanks so much for sharing. Hugs

Darwin and Candace Johnson said...

I know this is great, Makes my story about scones look kind of mediocre but I love reading them all!

Ruth Sagers said...

Candace, your memories are just as important and treasured :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for your HONEST and special memories. You rock.