Being one of the elder grandchildren, I have had 35 wonderful years with Grandma, and all 4 of our children have had the opportunity to know their great-grandmother. Grandma was always such a good example, and radiated truth and honesty. Just looking at her you knew she was someone you could rely on and trust. We would be so lucky as to be half the person she was.
I've got too many memories to list - and still have the special ring I was given after my baptism and 8th birthday. For my 15th birthday, Grandma and Grandpa gave me the book The Witch of Blackbird Pond, by Elizabeth George Speare, and the inscription is as follows:
"Dear Roberta,
Maybe you have already discussed the magic of historical novels, but we thought you might enjoy this one for your 15th birthday.
One of your great-grandmothers back on your mother's line was hanged - the city fathers claiming she was a witch - in Connecticut even, so we thought this would have a little extra magic.
We love you much, Grandma and Grandpa Macbeth"
How special it is that now I can share the same magical story with my children, and re-read it as many times as I'd like. Grandma's strength, wisdom and testimony have encouraged me to be a better mother. She is one of the best examples of a great woman - my mom's up there too :-)
7 years ago
1 comment:
thanks for sharing! I love that everyone is finding those hand written notes from Grandma and sharing them all with us. Love you!
Post a Comment