Monday, April 04, 2011

This has been an awesome week! The weather has been great-- in the 80's, but way too hot for me. The summer is only going to be worse from what I hear from other misionaries so I am not looking forward to the summer.
Last week was great for teaching. We got to go and see a bunch of people and picked up a few new investigators. One of our new invetigators is named Jimbo and he is actually the grandfather to two investigators we are teaching, he lives with them. Every time we went over before, we asked if he would want to sit in on a lesson with his grand kids but he never wanted to. He would just sit in the same room, watch TV, drink his beer, and listen to what we are saying as we teach his grand kids. One day we went to go see how they were doing, cause we had to cancel our last appointment with Nathan and Angela cause they were sick. (that is the name of the grand kids.) So we just stopped by to see if they felt any better, and they were still sick so we ended up talking with them for a bit and then Jimbo asks us, "why do bad things happen to good people?" We answered that question and so he asked us another about where we go after this life and so we started teaching him the Plan of Salvation. He was reallly interested in it, especially when we said that families can live together forever. He almost started to cry. We gave him the Plan of salvation pamphlet to read and we are going back today to talk to him about it. The best part of it was his grandson Nathan, who we have been teaching for a few weeks, started asking questions about it as well. My companion went with Nathan and answered his questions and I talked with Jimbo and answered his questons. It was the coolest lesson we have had so far since I came out 3 MONTHS ago. Crazy stuff!! I have been out so long!
We had great exchanges last week. I was with an Elder who has been out for about 8months so we were on almost the same level of teaching skills but it was a great day. I helped them pick up solid investigator. I invited him to be baptized and he accpeted! It was awesome! My companion picked up a new family of 7, so it was awesome for us both.
Conference was amazing. It was so spiritual and talked a lot about missionaries, women, service, and marriage. Priesthood session was focused on the missionaries not wasting time when we get back and not stopping the process of getting married, and to exercise our priesthood responsibility. I loved all the sessions. They all helped me with the questions I had and I got something out of all of them that I could use while I am out here. My favorite session was the Saturday morning session and I loved Elder Holland's talk as well, at the end. Life out here is awesome, time is just flying by and it has been great for me and has helped me grow so much as a person and my faith in the Lord. I have learned that when you fear doing something out here, you are doubting the Lord. So I have put aside all my fear and gotten to work. Love you all. Can't wait to hear from you next week. Andrew

No comments: