I have a pretty bad memory, so I don't have anything very specific to share about Grandma. But I do have some rambling thoughts, all jumbled together, so here you go.
When I was a kid, I collected bells. Whenever we would go on a trip out of the state, we would sometimes stop at a gift shop or gas station or visitor's center so that I could get a bell from that state. And Rhonda would get a spoon. I had accumulated quite a collection, and would occasionally receive bells as a gift from a family member or friend who had gone on a vacation. Grandma gave me at least two bells that I remember (it's been a long time since I've gone through them, so I remember these two, but there might be one or two more!). One was a beautiful white bell that she had crocheted herself. Another was an old-fashioned bell, and it came with Grandma's hand-written note that the bell was a replica of the one that Brigham Young had used to call his family to dinner or family meetings. These bells were special to me, because it meant that Grandma cared about me. Of all of us dozens of grandchildren, she knew that I collected bells, and she cared about me enough to give me these gifts. I still have her hand-written note that came with the Brigham Young bell, and a few other notes/birthday cards that she wrote to me.
This next memory, ok, it doesn't really have anything to do with Grandma, but it's a nice story and it took place at Grandma & Grandpa's house, a long time ago. I was very young. Eric and Rhonda were playing outside when the ice cream truck drove by. They ran after the truck and bought themselves an ice cream. When they came back to Grandma's house with their ice cream, I cried because I didn't have any, so my sweet brother Eric gave me his ice cream. Then he ran inside to get more money from my parents so that he could go back and get himself an ice cream. But alas, by the time he came back outside, the ice cream man had already driven away, and Eric did not get any ice cream. He was very disappointed. I was too young to fully appreciate his sacrifice, I was just happy that I got ice cream! But I remember this occasion very vividly and now am very grateful for my loving brother :)
The last of my rambling thoughts has to do with Grandma, and her struggles to have children. Through the past years, as Clayton & I have struggled to start a family, I would think about Grandma when I was feeling low. I don't know the specific details, but my mom has told me that Grandma was told by several medical professionals that she would never have children. Through the miracle of a priesthood blessing which promised her otherwise, we are all here today as her descendants. I did not have a specific priesthood blessing that promised me children, but my patriarchal blessing states that I will. I was grateful for Grandma's example and faith, and knew that if she could prove the medical professionals wrong, then so could I! I am so blessed to be a member of this wonderful family, and am so grateful for Grandma & Grandpa's example to us all, for their strength in the gospel, and for all of the Macbeth family. You mean a lot to me :)
7 years ago
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing, I'm so happy for you guys and that you were strengthened by Grandma's experience and faith.
Love you Ruthie!
Love you Poopie. You will be a wonderful mother, and I am so proud of your strength, honesty, and sincerity.
Post a Comment