Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Question for the moms out there...our babysitter had quite a fright with Isabelle today. She was playing around on the stairs and got her hand stepped on by the dog or something like that, when she broke into tears and was inconsolable. That's not too unusual for Isabelle, but this time her lips turned blue and her eyes started to roll back in her head. Tessa was about to call 9-1-1, but then Isabelle snapped out of it. I don't know if she just forgot to breathe, but she was fine for the rest of the afternoon and evening. She's sleeping soundly in her bed, but I'm not sure if this was a normal "kid forgot to breathe" scenario, or not. We're going to keep her home tomorrow, and call the doctor, but I was wondering if any of you experienced this before?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

YIKES! No, we've never experienced that before, I would def. talk to the dr today. Glad she's doing okay!!

Carla and crew said...

I agree with Ramona--my kids never did anything like that--well not the turning blue and eyes rolling back thing! It would definately be good to call. Good luck!
Carla

Darwin and Candace Johnson said...

We usually have the crazy and weird stuff happen to us and I must say I've never experienced that! I would definately talk to the doctor. Maybe she worked her self into a shock or an anxiety attack?? Good luck and keep us posted!

Karen said...

We've been there. I'll have to think longer to remember which child, but he or she would cry so hard that they would basically just black out after an injury. Generally harmless unless it becomes a pattern or they don't start breathing again. DUH! We also had one who could throw up on command. She would get so upset at being left with a sitter that she would cry in her crib until she threw up causing the sitter to panic and call us. The first time we rushed home but then we figured out what was going on. Of course check with your doc, but we've had that. The child out grew it after 4 or 5 episodes. Keep us posted.

Shelene said...

Five of five (comments so far) family members agree...go check in with the doc. If you want my nearly professional opinion, I was thinking if she was crying for quite a long time, and crying hard, she probably was not quite getting enough oxygen to her brain. Our bodies like to do what they can to defend themselves, so it probably just went into defense mode to protect itself and when she passed out, she started breathing better again. I also agree with Aunt Karen about if she makes it a habit. I bet all will be just fine! Good luck!

Unknown said...

You guys are awesome. According to the doctor, some kids have an involuntary reflex that causes them to hold their breath until they pass out. Super! Unusual, but normal. She could keep on doing it, or never do it again - just lay her down flat and keep talking to her. But she should be fine. Phew! I just hope our babysitter recovers!

Jessica Waters said...

We had a screamer who we could never seem to get to calm down. There were a few things we did to get her calm again. Lay her down, have her look into my eyes and talk softly but firmly so she would have to listen and then we would breathe together. Slow deep breaths until she was able to get herself calmed down. I would also put my hand on her chest and her hand on mine so she could feel herself taking the deep breaths. Hope it helps! Aaahhh the joys and worries of motherhood.

Karen said...

Where is April and her stethescope(sp), blood pressure cuff, and nose slings when you need them for calming children. Her blog explains it all!!