Here are some pictures from our trip to the cabins this summer. Tom's family has some cabins near West Yellowstone and so we get to go every year and have some fun with nature. Did I mention it is fun? Let me explain just how much fun one can have with multitudinous grizzly bears, 54 leeches, and a dozen eggs... Lets start with the bears... Hungry bears. It was dry and there are no berries... Hmmm... toddlers make a nice afternoon snack right? We woke up to bear tracks outside the cabins every morning and saw a mother grizzly with two cubs across the river from our cabins. It was neat, but much terrified dashing was done late at night from cabin to cabin. Okay, the bears are more interesting than fun, but still... Now on to the leeches.... We floated down the Snake River on innertubes and whatnot. Should be fun, right? In theory... Anyway, in the course of floating with Brooke sitting on my lap I attracted a colony of leeches. Two big ol' leeches got pulled off right away and we joked about them for the rest of the trip... Until it was time to stand up at the end and we realized that I was COVERED in little leeches. Over 50 leeches clinging to my upper thighs... The trauma... The terror... The slime... The tears... The shaking that lasted for hours... It must have been funny watching Delana (Tom's cousin) and I freaking out in the middle of the river, pinching off leeches as fast as we could, while screaming and crying... Dignified, I know. (It is one of my prouder moments...) Anyway... no leeches breached the swimsuit line (thankfully!!!!!) and I lived to tell the story. Tom's sympathetic response? "They're just leeches..." Now, from "just leeches" to eggs... The twins, while "napping" - (tricksters that they are - have learned to get into trouble silently, so as to avoid parental detection...) got into the fridge in the cabin and broke a full dozen eggs all over the carpet. (Do I need to remind you that are starving bears roaming the area?) After a mild heart attack and four wordless gasps... We cleaned, and scrubbed, and cleaned, and scrubbed, and yelled a little, and cleaned and scrubbed... (you get the picture?) We went to bed... And laid awake... Wondering if bears like raw eggs... Can they smell through a cabin door?... Can they break a cabin window.... I guess it can be said... It's only bears... They are "just" leeches.... and we weren't a midnight snack!
Love you all!

ErinLove you all!
Alix
Erin and Alix deciding between the buffalo burger of the chicken strips...
Fisher-lady Brooke

2 comments:
Oh, you poor thing! I would have been freaking out about the leeches as well. No thanks! But overall it sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait to see everyone next summer!
April - You always have the BEST stories! I love hearing about all your adventures. And what is that....? A picture of one of the twins smiling??!! What did you do?
Post a Comment