Thursday, June 03, 2010

Just an update on Grandma. Yesterday morning, she fell on her way to the bathroom. She says she tripped on something, but she managed to get herself up and went back to bed. When I came down at 4:00 in the afternoon, I found her in bed, sound asleep., half dressed. She explained what happened and two hours later, she still hadn't gotten dressed. So I helped her and got her upstairs for dinner...slowly. Today she seems a little more clear but says she's sore, of course. I insisted that she let me put her in the shower so I could check for bruises and the only one I saw was on her knee. But I realized she must have help now in the shower. She has reluctantly agreed to let me help her take a shower from now on because she's afraid of falling.
As soon as I got upstairs again, her doctor called with the results of her last blood work up and she's concerned about her kidney function. She said she thinks the issue is basically old age but between her heart getting weaker and her kidneys getting weaker, "surely we know she's near the end of her life." Yes, that is not a surprise. OK All that story to ask if you have any great ideas for an alarm that she could use to signal me...upstairs...that she needs help. Something she can wear constantly or what about a nanny cam or one of those that you can get for watching your babies? I need some advice.
Otherwise, she had no trouble eating the pie Laura brought her this afternoon and a steak with potato salad and baked beans. xoxo to you all, Karen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no, I hate to hear things like that :-( but sadly it's inevitable. I'd say a video monitor system would be good, but to work as you need it to the system would have to have multiple cameras. Other than that, I'm not too sure about panic alarms or what else there is out there - I'll see what I can find though.

David & Brenda said...

Thank you for all you do and for taking care of the rest of us in the bargain. Surely you hold a special well-deserved place in both your mother's and father's hearts!

I'd say the timing for this reunion is very good.