Well, here goes. My first post on the Macbeth family blog! I probably should really stretch the learning curve and put up a photo too. We'll see.
It takes something momentous to bring about change (thus the post) and that momentous occurrence is... I was sustained as Stake Relief Society President yesterday. My reason for posting this is that ever since I served as RS president in our student branch (oh so many years ago!!) I saved files to assist me if I were ever called again. Well, I haven't served in a RS Presidency since then... and we went to Samoa and... I got rid of all my files before we went. If any of you have files or ideas pertaining to any aspect of Relief Society that you would like to share with me (especially Stake RS socials or activities), I would love to have them. I don't have any particular need right now except for a huge amount of learning and training and prayers, but it would be helpful if I could accumulate some ideas that would give me a little bit of an arsenal as I move forward in this overwhelming task. I am very humbled by the call and trust that Father in Heaven will strengthen me so I can do His work. Please pray for me in the coming weeks.
A little bit about our life in Hurricane right now. Still no luck with employment so Dave has decided to set up a private counseling practice in our home by the name of Macbeth Counseling Service. We have several families in our ward who need counseling and the bishop received clearance to send them to Dave rather than LDS Social Services. That is a beginning and we hope to grow from there. If you have any friends or extended family members who live in our area, it would be great for us if you could get the word out. They, or someone they know, might have need for Dave's services.
5 comments:
Congratulations! Some of my best friends are Stake RS Presidents and so I know you will be great. I'll keep you up on any interesting activities we have in our stake.
Karen needs to send you her "How to Become a 10 Cow Woman" files. You'll be perfect in that position - congrats!
I'm not at all surprised at your calling. You will be terrific! Tell us a little about your stake --are the majority retirees, or is there a good mix of ages and/or circumstances? That will help to identify what kinds of ideas may be most useful to you.
Private practice may be just the right thing for David. We certainly hope fr the best for you all!
We have 12 wards, some of them mostly retirees, and many wards that are composed of typical families with all ages. We have some lower end housing with lots of beginner families; lots of empty nesters; and probably half the stake is composed of down-home-always-been-here Hurricane folks. It's an interesting mix because the move-ins are usually educated and progressive in their thinking, while the long term Hurricane folk are quite "country" and generally set in their ways. My presidency is composed of two move-ins (I'm one of those) and two who have been here long-term.
And, yes, I would LOVE the "How to Become a 10 Cow Woman" file!!
What a great calling! I have been amazed at all the things a Stake RS Presidency is involved in that no one sees. Kinda like being the mom, I guess :) Start up is tough for Dave, I'm sure, but how great to be his own boss at this stage of his career. I will email you a couple of things for RS.
Post a Comment