Clayton and his two brothers got to volunteer at Antelope Island in the annual Buffalo Round-up this last weekend. About 150 riders helped herd 500 bison from one end of the island to the other, where they were put in corrals to be be weighed, vaccinated, tagged, etc. They rode from about 8am until 6pm. I didn't go because I was chicken, and rightly so! Three horses were gored in the rump. The park rangers said that the buffalo were a lot more aggressive this year than they normally are. It's a bit different than herding cattle . . . the rangers told them that when a buffalo charges you, you run your horse as fast as you can in any direction until the buff stops chasing you. Clayton had 3 or 4 buffalo charge him, and they told me that there was one buff that was REALLY close to goring Clayton's horse. Luckily the Sagers boys and horses made it home safely. They loved it and look forward to going next year. Will I be joining them? Yeah, I don't think so, but I'm glad they had fun!
7 years ago
5 comments:
Sounds eerily like the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona Spain. Glad it was fun and that Clayton and his horse safely survived it all.
WOW!! I'm glad everyone returned homw safely! Beautiful pictures!
It LOOKS like it would be a wild, fun experience, but after reading about it, I'm with you...on the sidelines. Put me in the "chuck wagon."
I had no idea buffalo would be aggressive...Glad that all those Sagers boys and their horses got home safely!
Home, home on the range!
Post a Comment