Sunday, October 04, 2009



Alright, Emery Jade Johnson joined our family on Oct. 1st at 12:13am weighing in at 6lbs 1oz and is 19.5 inches long! It was a crazy crasy few days but we've been extremely blessed by how every thing worked out! It all started on Tuesday the 29 I wasn't feeling well and all that night night didn't sleep due to contractions about every 10 minutes. Wednesday morning Darwin went to work early then came to take Denver to school. As soon as I got out of bed my contractio0ns picked up to every three minutes, I told Darwin that he needed to come back from taking Denver to school and sit with the other boys while I went to get checked out, I knew something wasn't right. I could tell Darwin was annoyed and thought I was just over reacting, HA! I get to the hospital and I've already started dialating and effacing and I'm progressing quickly, I call Darwin and tell him to come up to the hospital. He still thinks I'm over reacting, until he gets to the hospital adn the doctor tells him Air Life will be here in 20 minutes to take your wife to Bend. WHAT!?! The helicopter arrived and I started balling when they told me there wasn't room for Darwin. They straped me in and we were off, let me tell you helicopters are not as cool as they are made out to be especially when you are strapped to a strecher unable to move and contracting every 5 minutes and it is windy so you feel motion sick on top of it! Thy had to give me two shots and a pill to get the contractions to slow, I guess they didn't want the baby born on flight!! It was a quick 50minute flight to Bend and when we got there I was rushed to Labor and Delivery. Where I met my new Doctor. They hooked me up and decided they wanted to try and stop my labor since I was only 35 weeks along, the plan was stop my labor then I'd be in the hospital for about a week and then if I went into Labor they'd let her come. Good plan...right? I called Darwin and told him. He was almost to the hospital with the boys. After a quick hello mommy is okay, Darwin chatted with the doctor about the plan and then took the boys over to his cousins house! Thank heaven's we had some family that lived in Bend!! In the mean time, they gave me a dose of medicine that was suppose to stop my labor... soon I felt light headed and as if I was floating, I knew something was wrong. Soon I'm surrounded by two doctors and a handful of nurses all working frantically on me. I guess the medicine they gave me also gave them a very unwanted outcome of my blood pressure dropping to a dangerous 67 over 38 and made Emery's heart rate jump to an equally dangerous 200 beats per minute. They frantically started to flush my system and gave me medicine to counteract the one. Once I was considered stable and was feeling MUCH better and Emery's heart rate was stable my doctor said that they were going to break my water and we were going to have the baby. I called Darwin and told him to hurry he was in shock!! they gave my pitocin to speed things along, they wanted her out quick! They believe and tests will hopefully answer some questions later, that I had what is called Correo which is an infection that is transfered to the placenta, which cause me to go into labor and is dangerous to both me and the baby. Finally after much contractions and much pain, no epidural for me, at 11:30pm on Sept. 30 I was 7cm, at midnight I was 9 12:10 fully at a 10cm and she was born at 12:13!! She had some swelling and bruising due to her coming so fast and she spent about four hours in the NICU. But she is great now other than alittle jaundice and man is she tiny!. I had a few golf ball sized blood clots that caused some hemorraging but they were ready with medicine and it didn't last long and they were able to control it almost instantly. We were able to come home yesterday and now we are just trying to adjust to having four kids and to having a girl! The boys love her and are very over protective of her! Denver told the peditrician that she better not drop her when she was looking her over! When asked if he liked his sister by Darwin's cousin he said yeah, she is pretty cute, she is black though!! So funny! I could she how a four year old might think that! Anyhow, we are all well and I think it is crazy that Jack and her and Vincent share a Birthday! How great! Anyways, that the story and those are a few pictures! Enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Candace and Darwin, we are so glad that Emery and Candace are doing well - what a scary story! We're so happy you finally have your little girl!

Carla and crew said...

Thanks for the update and the pictures. She is beautiful and we are all glad you got her here inspite of all the complications--but then that is how you do things, isn't it?!?! We love you all!

Linda Westover said...

You'd think by now Darwin would know that YOU KNOW when something isn't right. We're glad that it all turned out well in the long run. Enjoy having this little girl -- you deserve her!

Karen said...

Oh, the world of girls!! You won't notice for awhile, but they are soooo different and I mean that in the nicest way....usually :) Congrats to all. "Let's be careful out there!"

David & Brenda said...

Congratulations, Candace and Darwin, on your little girl! You certainly never do anything in the normal way though, do you?! Emery will love having her own unique birth story as she grows older. We are grateful she and you are okay. What a scary ordeal!

Unknown said...

Girl, you rock. She's a cutie - I can't wait to see our babies together!

Bob Westover said...

Candace: Looks like "Hard Way" is your official nickname. Congratulations on yet another job well done. Glad you were blessed with a successful outcome in the ordeal.