Sunday, March 22, 2009

Here's one of the lesser known stories from my paper about Dad:

Karen and I went to Europe the summer of 1975 and before we, Dad offered this advice:

When I was a boy I lived with my Aunt for a while. Down the street from my Aunt lived a big fat Italian lady. She was a real strange one, and she talked funny, but we kids found her to be a real source of irritation, and I suppose we irritated her some too. Her house was on the corner and it was convenient for us to cut across her yard on the way to and from school. She always yelled at us out her window, but we just tried to ignore it and went on our way. One afternoon I guess I had had a rough day at school because when this old Italian lady leaned out her window and yelled at us, I turned around and said, "Shut up, you old WOP!" All the other kids thought I had for sure had it, but the lady just slammed the window down. I felt quite pleased that I had told her off, but when I got home, there was my Aunt waiting for me at the door, hands on hips, and I knew she was mad! She marched me down to the Italian's house and made me apologize to the old WOP.
So--do not call an Italian a WOP, or they'll call your mother!


In other news at the Nelson house, Aubrey and Erin and I have a bad coughing, sneezing, achy, yucky cold! Jennae passed her NFS Preliminary test on Saturday--I don't know why these skating judges think they have to test at 6:30 a.m.! Barrry planted peas last week, so we are predicting snow tomorrow! This afternoon we all attended the final session of the Draper Temple Dedication (we just got to go to the Stake Center). It was great to be there as a family and feel the spirit of the temple.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a great story! My boss is Italian, so I'll have to be sure and share that with him.

Karen said...

Good thing you didn't tell any stories about our trip to Europe. Well, OK, there's one or two fit for the family :)

Brenda Sue said...

That's a funny story! Thanks for sharing!