Tuesday, January 20, 2009




This is my report on Aunt Mabel's funeral. I flew down Friday and spent the night in Palm Springs with Karin Hill. Tough duty but somebody needed to do it :) She drove me all the way back in for the service Sat. morn. I have included the program in case you'd like to see. It was very interesting to talk to my cousins that I haven't seen or heard from in 45 years. I gave these two women at the door the picture Linda sent of Dad and Aunt Mabel and told them that was my admission ticket. They were Mara and Rayna (I'd overheard them talking.) It took them a minute to recognize Mabel and they were wondering who the guy with her was! When I told her it was their Uncle John, they were very surprised but still had no idea who I was. (Kinda funny for a minute!) I told them it was me and I'm still not sure they had connected the dots but they were enthusiastic and polite. I really surprised Aunt Elsie and Uncle Jay. Dennis took lots of pictures he has promised to share with us. I got the sense that the family would like very much to communicate with us again and would welcome any contact. They were quite interested to hear my side of some of their stories, like the railroad money that they were given when their mother was killed...they'd been told that Harmon Curtis stole the money. I told them that that was the money that paid for Aunt Mable's watch for nursing school. They were shocked to hear it. So Mom is collecting what she has that may be of interest to them to send to them. All in all, it was a very interesting day. Our flowers were beautiful, by the way.

1 comment:

Carla and crew said...

I am so glad you attended the service. Did you share a memory? What was the DVD exactly--had they taped her talking or was it just photos?
When you say you haven't seen these cousins for 45 years, that seemed like a long time, but then I remembered just how old we really are!!!
Thanks again for representing us!