7 years ago
Thursday, February 21, 2008
So my dog Cooper and I are becoming volunteers at the Children's Justice Center, which is a place of investigation for child abuse. Basically, it's a kid-friendly, non-threatening environment where they conduct interviews with a child who has been abused. They have started a new program called Healing Paws, which is where they bring a dog into the interview to make the child more comfortable and willing to participate in the interview. Cooper and I are being evaluated and trained by their team to become members of the Healing Paws program, and I'm really excited! I've always felt that animals were very emotionally health-ful for humans, and now I can share the love of my dog with others in need. Cooper even gets his very own "business cards" that we can give out! I'm excited for this awesome opportunity to serve with my doggy. If you want to read an article about the program, go to www.transcriptbulletin.com, scroll down to and click on the "Archive Search Page" link on the left, and search for the article "Dogs help children recount abuse" that was written on Jan. 17 2008.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is so cool! I can totally see you doing something like that - good for you and Cooper too. I miss you.
Way to go Ruth (and Cooper). What a team! Go make a difference.
How awesome! Isn't it a great feeling to know that you can make a difference in someone's life?
We're proud of you.
Come see us some time.
WOW! That is way cool!!! What a great opportunity for you, I hope it all goes well - can't wait to hear all about it!
I tried posting a link to the article - it was a really neat read! - but it didn't work so well. I had to search for it, it was posted on January 17; if you search for the title Ruth mentioned you'll find it.
Post a Comment