Friday, February 01, 2008

I had the coolest experience ever today! Clayton's family has a small herd of beef cattle, and Clayton found a cow in labor this morning that needed help delivering the calf. He and his dad were able to pull the calf out (which I didn't get to see because I was covering for Clayton at work :( I was pretty bummed). Then Clayton came back to work, and I got to go down and observe the mom and calf for most of the afternoon, making sure that the calf was able to nurse, and that the mom was going to recover from the hard labor. I even got to bottle-feed the little guy until he figured out how to nurse from his momma. It was the cutest thing ever! It was amazing how strong he was, despite the fact that he was only a few hours old. Clayton said he (the calf) was able to stand up within minutes of his birth. Anyway, it was awesome, and so adorable. Hopefully I will be able to witness an actual birth sometime in the next few months. Hooray for the miracle of life!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How cool! I like cows - they're cute...just like you! I hope you had a happy birthday. We sure do love you.

Rob and Juliann said...

How sweet, you got to bottle feed it! Lucky duck!

Brenda Sue said...

Yay for Ruthie!!! I'm sure you absolutely loved that! Hope your birthday was stupendis!

Linda Westover said...

It still amazes me that YOU, of all our daughters, have turned out to be the cowgirl at heart. Observing a birth is awesome, esp. if it happens to be a human baby appearing on the scene. Glad you got the experience.