Monday, August 21, 2017

News from CAM                                                                                                         August 21, 2017
Dear Loved Ones All,
On P-Day other than light cleaning I opted to go get a haircut since my hair was flopping all over the place.  If I can’t do the “wash and wear” I am not happy.  It is amazing what a good hair cut will do.  Then we came home for breakfast and I worked on Relief Society things that needed my attention for our upcoming Enrichment night while Elder Macbeth did his reports until lunch time.  After lunch we took a break and stopped off to see Maria on our way to the Mission Office.  She really doesn’t belong in the care center and is quite unhappy because other than a few who like her are there for recovery, most of the people are hardly responsive if you talk to them.  They told her she will be recovered enough to go home next week.  I had cookies left over from district meeting so I took them into the Office people.  Two of the senior couple are dieting, but the rest are delighted to see us arrive with cookies.  I think Elder and I should follow the example and try to shed a few pounds before going home.
I had birthday cards from the R.S. presidency to mail out so we stopped off at the post office.  We also went to the church to run off some lists so that we didn’t have to use our printer.  Ink replacement is the pits!  We also tried to make a visit but the member was not home.  So far none of the times we have tried to catch her have been successful.  I am starting to think she must work an odd night shift or something.  We hadn’t heard from Keith so we texted him and he didn’t respond either.  I’m sure we will hear from him when he needs something. 
On our way back home we stopped at the Scanlans.  Sister Scanlan is doing much better although she hasn’t recovered enough from her abscessed tooth and her fall that her doctor will ok her knee surgery.  We did get to the grocery store.  We have found that Food 4 Less has good prices on some of the groceries that we use consistently, so we frequent there and Costco. 
The Samoan Sisters who live in our complex like to stop by whenever they can, because they know that I save them cookies from our district meetings, and I also usually keep some in the freezer.  Besides they like to sit on our couch and pet the minki quilts that are over the arms of the couch.  They are such a delight.
I seem to be getting the hang of the Bishops Storehouse food orders, but sometimes I send them in and they don’t get approved right away.  I have discovered I need to give a heads up to either the Bishop or his first counselor if he is away.  I have also about figured out how much time is required to pick up an order because many of the recipients don’t have transportation so we get to do it.  The other tricky part is being able to deliver it in a timely manner after we get it. 
In between visits (successful or not), phone calls, and texting, and the other things that come up that we get to do Elder Macbeth has given several priesthood blessings.  What a gift the Lord has given us to be able to get such blessings.  Those receiving them are always so appreciative and they always report that it helps so much.
While Elder Macbeth was fulfilling his Executive Duties I was doing some Visiting Teacher interviews.  So far none of the sisters can remember when they last had one.  I finished before Elder Macbeth, but the Family History Center has been moved to a different part of the building, and the keys are not available so I guess occupancy is not ok yet.  Anyway, I didn’t have that option to fill my time, but a non-member sister and her fiancé came in for an interview with the Bishop so I was there to visit with her while her fiancé was doing his interview. 
Wednesday I got up and chopped veggies, browned the hamburger, and fixed the spaghetti sauce that was to cook in the crockpot until supper time when the Sisters were coming to dinner before we went to Enrichment night.  One of the sisters can’t have sugar or flour so I made her a separate batch of sauce that didn’t have bottled spaghetti sauce because that has sugar.  I decided to cook a spaghetti squash for the noodles.  I also fixed everything that was needed for bruschetta except for putting it together.
Since I was doing a Card Making presentation I had to organize and pack up my stuff as well as finish the kits that I put together for the sisters to make a card.  We were about ready to leave for Mary’s Kitchen when we got a call from Karly.  Her baby was sleeping and her 3 year old was playing happily, but she needed someone to come watch her kids while she went to emergency care because she was so dizzy she couldn’t even stand.  She had called everyone she could think of.  I also tried everyone I could think of but our ward has so few people who are able who don’t work curing the day.  I texted her back because her phone was having audio problems and let her know that I couldn’t find anyone but we would let them know at Mary’s Kitchen that we had and emergency so we would be there, and we would come ourselves.  In the meantime she called her husband who said he would come home for work and watch the kids.  I texted her back and wanted to know how she was getting to emergency care…she was going to drive herself.  NOT!  Anyway, we dropped her off at emergency care as soon as her husband got home instead of going to Mary’s Kitchen.  He said he would pick her up.  Then we stopped at the grocery store to pick up some shaved parmesan for the bruschetta.
The sisters were to arrive early because we needed to be at the church by 6:00 pm to set up for enrichment.  I put the bruschetta together and finished the last touches for the meal while Elder Macbeth vacuumed and set the table.  They were a little late but they arrived and we enjoyed an Italian feast.  I told Sister Brooks that she could just lift the top off of the bruschetta since she couldn’t eat the bread which she was quite happy to do.
The Enrichment went well, except for one little glitch...I forgot to bring the instruction sheet I had made for the card kits.  They loved all my show and tell of cards, and tools, and “how to’s”, and then we went into the cultural hall and I walked them through the process of making their cards.  When the sign up sheet was passed around in R.S. it was on the day that we had combined R.S. and Priesthood, so one brother had signed up so he came.  Nobody seemed to even notice.  The 3rd Ward Sisters joined us and since their ward and ours used to be the same many of them knew each other and had a good visit.  There were at least 40 sisters there.  The 3rd Ward provided root beer floats so it was a fun ending to the evening.  It seemed to take me the rest of the week to get all my stuff sorted and put away.
Thursday we had an afternoon only Zone Conference.  It was a wonderful training on diligence I was asked to lead the music, but the young missionaries were sad that they didn’t get the usual lunch.  At least they got to have some of Sister Heathcoat’s famous chocolate chip cookies.  I think we have one more Zone Conference before we head home.  That night we had B.O.M. class.  It was the last time for Elder Peden since he is going home, and Kelsey and Janet are both starting school and will have night classes.  Janet is a recent convert of 2 weeks, and she brought gifts to us and the young missionaries as a thank you for being there.  She said that she would continue reading the Book of Mormon every day.
We have made several attempts at visits only to discover the members have moved.  That points out that the Home Teaching and the Visiting Teaching is not up and running as it should be.  Of course it is much harder to keep track of in-active members, but still . . ., so I am trying to get at least the V.T. organized before we leave.  My goal is before next month so that we can start the month with all the sisters assigned.  We were successful one evening in catching up to a couple of members who both live on the same street where the only parking is stopping in the street with your emergency lights blinking usually with several other cars doing the same thing, and pray that your car will still be there when you come back.  We dropped off cookies and had good visits.  Julio keeps saying he wants to become active again but so far it hasn’t happened, but he says that the letters that Elder Macbeth sends him each month arrive just when he needs encouragement.  He also reported that his sister that we were able to visit months ago is active and even her non-member husband attends. 
This week I got a broken shirt, a distressed dress, and a couple of severed skirts to repair.  Several people have said, “Sister Macbeth, I have, something that needs to be fixed. . .. can you??????????”  I don’t think they realize that time is running out because some of them told me that a month ago.  Elder Macbeth got to be in charge of fixing a burned out headlight this week.  That seems to be the only thing that the car has needed besides oil changes and gas.  Hopefully that blessing will continue at least until we get home
We’ve got to visit by phone with a couple of our kids.  That is always a bright spot.  Two of our daughters celebrated their anniversaries this month.  And all the families and grandkids seem to be doing fine.  Can’t believe that school has already started for some.  Sunday was sort of a relaxing day despite having to get up at 4:45 am so I would be ready on time to get to the church for Elder Macbeth’s first meetings.  And I am happy to report that I am catching on to having a smoothly running Relief Society Meeting.
We finished reading the Book of Mormon again, so we decided we should see if we can get through the Pearl of Great Price also.  I am completely out of time and so I’ll close this epistle.  Hope you have a wonderful week and that those starting school are loving it, and those at home can happily fill in the time, and that the rest of you are grateful for all your numerous blessings. 
Love, Sister and Elder Macbeth          Go!      Fight!!        WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Smile

No comments: