Tuesday, August 01, 2017

News from CAM                                                                                                                     July 31, 2017
Dear Loved Ones All
Monday P-Day arrived and we cleaned and Elder Macbeth wrote the reports while I composed my e-mail.  It was our two oldest children’s birthdays this week so we got to visit with them and their families over the air waves.  I’m glad all our children and grandchildren seem happy, which makes their parents and us grandparents happy.  We got to talk with our other daughters, one of them, Mindy, had recently got her Masters.  Now there are 3 Masters in our Family.  Elder Macbeth, Kristina, and Mindy.  I am so proud of them all.  I’m sure that Heavenly Father loves it when he sees happy families. Sorry about bragging but I am so proud of them all. 
I finished making some cards and then we delivered them to the birthday members here.  We also visited our Hungarian Maria.  She is slowly healing, but she definitely does not like being in a rehab center.  We have certainly been exposed to the un-pleasantries of having poor health or getting old.  It is amazing to me, however, that some people can be happy and can cheer everyone around them and then there are others that are totally negative.  It has been corn-on-the-cob season and we have definitely taken advantage when we see a good deal advertised in the grocery adds.  It makes one really appreciate the bounty that we have in this country.
We usually helped serve lunch to the missionaries at the zone conferences, but the stake relief societies were in charge of them this time around so we only helped serve at two instead of all three.  Since ours was on Wednesday we didn’t serve at Mary’s Kitchen.  That is usually one of the high lights of our week.  I did help the Activities Day leader with the magic tube pillow case project.  I took my sewing machines and since there were only 4 girls it was adequate.
Looking at my planner, I have spent a ton of time this week with getting acquainted with my duties as Relief Society president.  I read everything in handbook 2 that had to do with my duties and those of my presidency.  I wished there had been more, but I guess mostly you just have to rely on the spirit.  I decided that since I only have 2 months, that I am trying to get the visiting teaching organized.  That is a huge, ongoing task, but with our former R.S. president being in the hospital and recovering for months at a time, it needs a lot of attention.  The other thing I want to tackle is our R.S. closet.  There are things buried in there that I’m sure might be useful if they could be located.  I discovered there packages and packages of paper napkins and boxes and boxes of plastic service ware that I had no idea was in there so we have purchased napkins as recently as last Saturday for our Pioneer Day Celebration.  Anyway, we had our first presidency meeting and didn’t have time to cover nearly everything that I wanted to go over before we were out of time.  Sigh!
We continue to try to make visits with less active members.  It sometimes seems that we make 10 – 15 phone calls to one or two successes.  But when we are successful it really makes our day.  I can only imagine that is how the Lord feels with us.  We picked up Janet N. and Angel S., a couple of investigators of some of the young missionaries, and took them to Book of Mormon reading class since the young missionaries are not supposed to have non-missionaries as passengers and they couldn’t find rides for them with members.  That has been a real challenge here…transportation and parking are the pits.  We did catch up to a sister who apparently was visiting in with her mother in Utah.  She and her girls had just barely returned and said her apartment was in total disarray.  But she invited us to come have dinner with them the next Tuesday.  Woot!
Saturday we attended the baptism of Janet N.  She was just glowing, and the spirit was so strong.  After that I went with my 1st counselor to get some supplies for the upcoming R.S. enrichment night while Elder Macbeth attended another baptism.  That made it and awesome ending to our week.
Sunday morning seemed to arrive too early.  When I shower I need an hour to get my hair dry and to get ready, and since Elder Macbeth needs to be there just before 6:00 am, we have to leave here by 5:45 am.  Hmmmmm.  You do the math.  The meetings were really good so that made me feel blessed.  However, as it was my first time conducting Relief Society, and it was a combined meeting with the priesthood, I felt totally unprepared (example, I didn’t get the tablecloth or any decorations out of the closet because I simply didn’t have time and my counselors were only sustained at Sacrament Meeting a couple of hours before so I hadn’t delegated any of those responsibilities.)  Hopefully none of the brethren and the visitors were too shocked.  Elder Macbeth taught the lesson for the Bishopric because the Bishop was out of town, the 1st counselor was at the hospital with his wife, and the 2nd counselor was at another ward at a missionary farewell.  At least I was happy that the 2nd counselor returned in time to set apart my counselors after the block.
We got to finish out the day down at Brad and Becky’s for a fabulous meal and best of all a visit with family and of course grandchildren.
On that happy note I must end because this R. S. president is supposed to be down at the Bishop’s storehouse for some training.  Hope it is a productive and wonderful week for all.
Love, Sister and Elder Macbeth.                    Go!     Fight!!       WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Smile

No comments: