Monday, July 17, 2017

Elder White:
I find myself writing a lot about the non missionary kind of stuff that we have done out here, and I suppose it is probably because my literary skills are not sufficient to really explain the the Spiritual things that happen every week, many of them if I were to write over email wouldn't sound all that special, but in reality they are very significant.
    So to keep with that same tradition I will write about Elder Talbot's and my road trip we took today! Our mission covers the Eastern Shore of Virginia which goes all the way to the Maryland Border, and the Eastern Shore is in our zone. So this Morning we drove to the Maryland Border, and it turns out our mission extends 40 feet into Maryland so Now I have been in North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland! Then we went to the Wallop Island NASA visitor center, Wallop Island is one of the oldest launch sites in the US it has been there since 1945. After that we went to the incredible Island town of Chincoteague which is only accessible by one road which is for the most part a bridge over large tidal flats. While on the Island we went to the world famous Island Creamery, which is listed as the number one place to eat in Virginia before you die, and believe you me their ice cream lives up to that tittle completely.  The best part about today though was going to the Assateague National Seashore where we saw an abandoned US life saving station, Beautiful sandy beaches and ocean front, and the most amazing array of waterfowl that I have ever seen. There were breathtaking Great Egrets all over and all manor of ocean life, I even held a horseshoe crab! the best thing that we saw was the famous wild ponies! who graze on the tall grass around the seashore, and swim from Island to Island to graze. Actually in my mind the best thing we saw was the recently renovated Assateague Light House, the current structure was built in 1880 and we were there on just the right day because they were open for tours so we got to climb to the top and take some picture from higher ground. Since Elder Talbot is from Utah where they are lacking an ocean and thus lacking lighthouses I got to actually use what little light house knowledge I have, I taught him about the first order Fresnel lens that was in the light house and why they have different day marks on the different light houses, and all of the important things. After All that we explored an incredible bronze sculpture gallery, bought some Confederate Flags from this hilarious gas station that sold Confederate flag everything, and then we went for lunch at the Exmore Dinner (which is number 27 on the list of places to eat before you die in Virginia) and I had some of the best fried oysters that I've ever had, they were so good, Elder Talbot hates seafood (he's from Utah) and even he liked them. Finally after driving 2 hours back and across the 17 mile long bay bridge tunnel we are here, emailing at the library.
 Now on to the things that actually matter about missionary work. 
Our appointment  with this part member family fell through because we showed up and he was hanging out playing guitar and singing with this guy who he's been friends with since elementary school, we couldn't teach the lesson or come in because it turns out his friend is a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and his security guards wouldn't let us in.... I never would have guessed in a million years that I would have an appointment fall through because of that reason, it wasn't even in a nice neighborhood at all that was the funny part. Nevertheless and notwithstanding that happening, they still came to church on Sunday! (his friend from the Red Hot Chili Peppers did not come sadly) but they haven't come to church in 4 and a half months. Having the people you teach come to church to a missionary, is better than light houses, even better than ponies and fried oysters. Well now I am out of time so I can't even write more about the actual important things that happened but alas y'all will have to wait till next Monday, but until then I hope y'all have a blessed week!

--
-Elder White

No comments: