Monday, May 29, 2017

News from CAM                                                                                                         May 29, 2017
Dear Loved Ones All,
Well, I thought my stressful week was behind me, but just to show what small things can do, I was in a dither as to what to eat this whole week trying to figure out foods that didn’t have arginine in them so as to not feed my cold sore germs.  I’m afraid I let some things DIE in my refrigerator because they were off the list.  Elder Macbeth did not forage for himself…I guess he determined to suffer with me… so what I ate, he did too.  However I did decide that enough was enough one evening so he took me to Black Angus Steakhouse for prime rib. Even though beef is not on the list, I have just one word, Delicious! 
One of my favorite ceramic knives was starting to chip (I don’t remember eating any ceramic pieces) so after searching a few stores Elder Macbeth went on line and found out it was cheaper to get a whole set than to get the one I wanted by itself.  Just thought you would like to know.  J  I don’t think it is okay for young missionaries buying knives, but for us seniors I don’t think they would even question it.
P-Day was the usual laundry, cleaning, and shopping.  We did attend an extra meeting with the missionaries assigned to out ward and the ward mission leader because they thought it would be a great idea to have a mini MTC for members to help facilitate member participation in finding investigators.  Unfortunately there are already some programs on the stake calendar that preempts (i.e., the Self Reliance program, and a stake play that is to be presented in June, plus they are still talking about realigning the ward boundaries) so it is not feasible to try to implement it now.  
My sewing machine and needles and thread are still getting their workout.  I fixed 3 pair of problem pants and a severed skirt, plus I even got to mend my eyeglass case.  I don’t anticipate doing too many of those so I didn’t give that its own name. 
We continue visiting members who are in various hospitals and care centers.  I think the saying that getting old is not for the faint hearted is so very true, except it is not just the old people.  Bodies are miraculous things and we just don’t appreciate health until we don’t have it, or someone we love loses theirs. 
I also got to go to the Family History Center this week and they helped me unravel (validate) one of the problems that Sister Carlberg found on the Reed line.  It took nearly the 2 hours that I was there.  Elder Macbeth was of course doing his Executive Secretary duties (bishop interviews, BI-P for short)   while I watched the experts zip here and there on the computer.  Unlike President Uchtdorf, the computer and I are still not on friendly terms. 
President Taggart has asked all the missionaries to read Preach My Gospel before the new Mission President arrives in July, plus continue reading all the entries about Christ found in the Topical Guide, so of course we have been working on trying to complete that.  We took time out to call and wish our Granddaughter Lexi a happy birthday, but we did not catch up to our Son-in-law Bryce whose birthday is the same day.  We did send him a card, but to Utah because we didn’t have an address of where he is taking a class. 
I mentioned that the stake is implementing the Self Reliance program, so Elder Macbeth and I have spent some time trying to deliver the invitations to some of our ward members who are invited to the first set of classes.  Most are if not happy to receive and invitation, at least they are curious to find out how it can help better their situations.  The kick off devotional is this coming Sunday evening and we have a few more people we have been trying to contact.  Some need to actually respond to us so we know when to deliver their invitations. 
Elder Macbeth took his drill to help mount a TV on a wall for a single sister whose apartment was just refurbished.  Unfortunately he didn’t have a bit large enough so we went to 4 different stores trying to find ones that would fit his particular kind of drill.  NONE.  By then it was late enough in the day that most men in our ward would be getting home from work so we called the 2nd counselor in the bishopric and he had not only the right sized bit, but a drill that was charged so it could be used.  He came over and helped mount the TV.
On Thursday we got a call that our R.S. president had been taken to the hospital with bleeding in her brain and she was having trouble with her memories.  We had meetings and appointments all day Thursday, but the Bishop and Brother Bodily had been in to give her a blessing and said they would keep us updated.  Friday we went in to visit her and offer support to her husband.  Nearly all her children were there with the grandkids.  Supposedly in ICU there can only be 3 visitors at a time so we took a turn, encouraged the family, and left as more visitors came.  The Lord heard all the prayers offered in her behalf and the surgery went well with no sign of a stroke, or hidden mass in her brain, and she’s recovering very well.  Bishop gave Elder Macbeth the responsibility to let people, especially the ward council, know she was in the hospital; then that surgery was scheduled, and finally that the surgery went well. 
We also got to make some regular visits with members this week.  They always seem to be happy when we visit.  It is nice when we can express appreciation for the support that they give the ward members as well as the missionaries.  We try to always have something encouraging to say as well as a spiritual message.  By Saturday afternoon for some reason I was just tired so I lay down for a while to see if I could get a little shut eye but my brain was not ready to quit so I finally decided that it was silly just to lay there. 
Sunday morning starts with a 6:00 am meeting for Elder Macbeth, so of course that means that if I am to be ready when it is time to go, that I need to be up at 5:00 am.  It doesn’t seem quite as early in the summertime when it is not still dark.  Ward Council is at 7:00 am so if you are not a morning person it seems very early.  I sometimes think I am a morning person, but on the other hand I think I’m a night owl.  I guess in 4 more months it won’t matter.  Imagine that.
We got to go to Laguna Niguel for a scrumptious dinner and watch Lexi open some of her birthday presents.  Her Mom told her that as soon as the dishes were loaded into the dishwasher and everything cleaned up she could open them so she was right there helping with everything PDQ!  An awesome 5 year old.  J  Bryce also came down so we got an extra bonus visit.  I have to say again, that grandkids are so fun, and families are the greatest!  What a delightful way to start Memorial Day.
Loads of Love to All,    Sister and Elder Macbeth          Go!    Fight!!     WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  J

No comments: