Tuesday, May 16, 2017

News from CAM                                                                                                                     May 16, 2017
Dear Loved Ones All,
It was a great week.  It started the same as most Mondays doing laundry and cleaning.  How is it that that is a constant in our lives?  Guess we should be extremely grateful that we have the ability to accomplish such mundane things.  We have multiple birthdays in the family and in the ward so I felt justified taking time to make cards since the supply that I brought with me keeps dwindling away.  I called President and Sister Taggart and invited them to dinner on Friday, the 19th.  They still take a few hours a week for date night and I thought dinner with some senior missionaries might be a break in their normal schedule.  I also invited the Westergards so it should be a regular party.  J
I repaired a couple more problem pants. Hemming takes a while but isn’t difficult, but I am amazed at how many shred the fabric when they rip their pants.  I added a new thing to my expanding talents.  I also got to repair a couple of fractured first aid bags.  I had to get Elder Macbeth to help with one since we had to get creative to replace a broken link on the strap.  He is definitely a great companion to have around!
Elder Christenson who has been out in the mission only about 6 weeks had a birthday on Tuesday, so Elder Macbeth took all of the full-time 4th ward missionaries to I-Hop for Lunch.  The young missionaries sure have voracious appetites, including the Sisters.  I asked Elder Christenson what was his favorite cake and he said, “Red velvet.”  Unfortunately I didn’t have time to make one so we bought a cheese cake instead because I couldn’t find red velvet at the store and one of the sisters is allergic to chocolate and the other is allergic to gluten.  By the time we each ate a huge meal we were too full for dessert, so we just sent it with the Elders to share later.
I caught the cold/cough that has been going around so I was not quite up to game speed for the first part of the week.  However it gave me a reason to stay home and work on my Relief Society Lesson on Tuesday evening while Elder Macbeth went with the Bishopric to an elderly sister’s home for a visit and to give her a blessing.  Our young mother that we help quite frequently sent us home with some taco soup which was really quite delicious.  I’m sure she was glad to be the one serving this time.  Later in the week I had Elder Macbeth help me make me a handout for my lesson.  As it turned out he was asked to give the same lesson in Priesthood, but he didn’t need a handout.  I was a little concerned about giving the lesson because it talked about the importance of motherhood and we have single sisters as well as a childless couple in our ward, and since it was Mother’s Day all the sisters in the ward would be in attendance with the brethren and young women subbing for them.  Hence I did a lot of fine tuning on my lesson throughout the week.
Keith continues to do hospital/care facilities hopping.  He was moved to a couple of different ones this week.  We go for a visit and then the next thing we know he is texting or calling to let us know he is somewhere else.  Not only that, his poor body keeps having one thing after another that is adding to his problems.  He had to have a stint put in for dialysis.  Then when he was at dialysis his left eye stopped functioning therefore he can’t see out of it.  So to a different hospital he went and they found something else to treat before he was sent to another place.  The eye problem scared him and I know that he is getting very discouraged.  We also have multiple others that have great health concerns that we continue to visit. 
It is fun to get to serve at Mary’s Kitchen each week.  We didn’t go last week because we were being “Grandparents” at Disneyland, so many let us know we were missed.  It is gratifying when you are told that they kept expecting us to show up and that everyone wanted to know where we were.  We thought we told all the people who were in charge that we weren’t going to be there, but I guess we should have let everybody know since apparently we are a permanent fixture for at least the next 5 months.
I made red velvet cake mix cookies this week to make up for not being able to make the cake.  I frosted them with butter cream frosting to which I added a little cream cheese.  Of course they were devoured like all the cookies, but I think the devil’s food cake mix cookies are better.  Just saying…
We did the usual on Thursday…District Meeting in the morning.  The young missionaries are so amazing at how spiritual they are, and the extent of insight that they have.  It is always a treat to see what they come up with to encourage us and to teach us.  Afterwards we dropped off some cookies to the Mission Office for the Senior Couples who are there before going to Marias’.  She is home again so we met the Elders there and while they did yard work Elder Macbeth and I helped inside.  She always has something that needs to be reprogramed such as the furnace, TV, or one of her appliances in the kitchen.  Since she can’t see well enough he helps her go through her mail to see what bills she needs to take care of and which is just junk mail, and I usually do the dishes.  In the evening we have Book of Mormon class.  We are on the last 2 chapters so then we will get to start over again.  Not sure if any of the current participants will continue to come or if we will have to find new people.  I guess that remains to be seen.
Elder Macbeth continues to keep his fingers flexible texting about meetings that have been scheduled or postponed or changed.  A couple of people need phone calls instead but for the most part technology is even catching up to us older generation.  We got to make an impressive amount of visits for a change, most were drop in visits, but a few we were able to schedule. 
Mother’s Day was wonderful starting with Skyping with our daughter Mindy.  She and Tony are always a blast to talk with.  Then we had to hustle to make it church on time.  I ended up leading the music in Sacrament Meeting because of the Mothers’ Day marathon over by Disneyland and so many of the streets were blocked off and the traffic was crazier than usual, hence our music people got caught in the chaos and were late getting there.  My lesson went well for which I was grateful, and after church we met with most of our District missionaries for a picture because at least 3 of them were being transferred on Monday.  Then we hightailed it down to Laguna Niguel so we could attend church with Brad’s family.  Our granddaughters were singing with the primary and young women, “You Are Enough,” for their sacrament meeting.  It is a beautiful song and very fitting.  We loved it.  After church Brad grilled chicken and some delicious pineapple/chicken sausages and we had corn on the cob, and grapes, and hot crescent rolls.  It was delightful.  We Skyped or talked on the phone with the rest of our kids.  How blessed we are to have such fantastic children and grandchildren.  We returned home tired but happy.
Hope your week was as wonderful and that this one will be as great.
Love, Sister and Elder Macbeth             Go!    Fight!!       WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  J

No comments: