Tuesday, August 23, 2016

 Well, on Saturday we had transfer calls. President Weed called us, which is always scary because if he calls you for transfers it means you are either training or getting put into a leadership position. It turns out that the call was for me. I am getting transferred to Albertson (here the T is silent so it's said "Alberson").
         Geographically Albertson is significantly smaller than where I am now, but is also significantly less populated, and even more rural than here! Not only that, but they are taking both Elders out and put two new ones in so neither of us will know anything about the area. Oh yeah, and they are making me be the District Leader which is scary. I don't want more responsibility than I already have just being a regular missionary! But, oh, well. I will miss Elder Pitts a lot. We have had some good times here, and with the elder who is coming here, Elder Pitts will need all the prayers he can get (but seriously I'm not kidding). 
         Some of those good times happened this week. First off we got fishing licenses and went fishing with the poles that were already inside our house, and it was the most successful fishing I've ever done--I actually got to do some catching. I caught several blue catfish, and a couple white bass, Grandpa Noel, and Bob Call would be so proud of me! We kept a few of the ones we caught, and we cleaned, cooked, and ate them. So now that I have lived south of Virginia for over six months in a house that is over 100 years old, eaten Collard Greens, bought watermelon from an awesome black dude at a roadside watermelon stand, and caught and ate my own catfish, I'd like to consider myself an honorary member of the South. 
      Earlier this week we went to the Barker House to see one of our investigators who works there to set up an appointment with her. While were talking to her she had some things she needed help with, so as we were helping her, two couples walked in that I had never seen before. They saw us and immediately said,  "Hey, Elders! How are you two doing?". Now lots of people in this town know us, most everyone has seen us out doing service or teaching people, so in my head when these people addressed us as "Elders" my mind was going a million miles an hour trying to figure out who they were. Well, it turns out one of the couples was from Raleigh, and the other from Arizona, and Both of them are members and have served senior missions. In fact one of the couples has served three so far! When we introduced them to our investigator, these members, who had just happened to walk in right when we were there, started to testify to her of the truthfulness of the Gospel and how it will bless our lives, and they even invited her to pray about what we have taught (obviously, we have also invited her to pray, but it's always good to have another member commit them, too). You may say what you want, but I know that this whole happening was no coincidence. There could have been no better time for them to walk into the Barker House than right at that very moment. I know that it was meant to be.
         Two weeks ago the branch president’s wife asked me for a favor. Turns out the favor was to sing a duet with President Cupps (the branch president) in Sacrament meeting this week, so we practiced three or four times in the last two weeks, and it actually went pretty well, although it was probably the scariest thing I've had to do at church.  It's a good thing there were only 36 people there to hear it, and that I'm leaving on Wednesday, but it all seriousness, it was most definitely the best I have ever sung anything, which is my big miracle this week.
         Well last night I slept in a funny position and so my neck was all twisted up. It kinda feels like I took a karate chop to the neck from a samurai, so I think that this will be all for this week folks. So until next time, have a blessed week y'all!!!
   
P.S. I will get my new address next week so hold off on sending me anything until next Monday. Thank you.
---Elder White

No comments: