Sunday, June 15, 2008

Well it never seems to be dull at the Johnson House! And the past couple weeks have been no different. About three weeks ago Darwin got Strep throat really bad. He was admitted to the hospital and they soon found that it had gone Septic and infected his entire blood supply. His body wasn't responding to the antiboditics. He was on then for twelve hours with no change, the doctors were going to give him one more hour of the meds before they were going to start the blood transfusions, to get the infected blood out before it started affecting his organs. Luckily in that hour he finally started to respond! They released him and at his follow up appointment, they decided that his tonsils need to come out. So on the 23rd, we will be in Bend for him to have that done. They are keeping him over night though because he went septic that one time, so he is considered high risk. They said that although this procedure is fairly simple and routine, that adults have a much harder time with this procedure than kids do. We were told he will miss about a week and half os work....so for that time it'll be like I have six kids instead of just three!! So the other day it was beautiful outside and we spent almost all day outside playing baseball and swimming. Denver apprently got bit by some type of critter, spider or something and he woke up this morning with his elbow, three times the normal size. We went to Church and asked our nurse friend she said that we should bring him in to the clinic tomorrow. Well once church was over she looked at again and told us we couldn't wait till tomorrow. So we spent most of Father's day in the ER. He has develop Cellutitus, which is a skin infection that affects teh deeper layers of the skin. He is on antiboditics and we go back on Tuesday for some blood work and madicine adjustment if necessary. I've decided they need to rename the hospital here or at least a wing of it and name it after us! Oh well, I guess this is what I get for having small kids! Other than that, we are doing pretty good. Parker is getting big! I can't believe he is three months old already! He is coming close to rolling over and coos and smiles all the time! Porter, is becoming quite the little dramatic one in our family and it is starting to drive me crazy! Hopefully he'll grow out of it! Denver, is doing great other than his arm! He amazes me at all the things he says and learns each day! We are working on Potty training :( with not too much success and if any of you have any ideas or advice for me... PLEASE HELP!! I'm doing good...not sleepying much but that is okay. Anyhow, we look forward to seeing you all soon at the reunion!
Love the Johnsons

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow!!! When it rains it pours in your neck of the woods! Sorry your family has had more than enough hospital visits. YIKES!! Hope everyone gets better soon. As for the potty training, I swear by letting them run around "commando" - just make sure a potty is nearby at all times! I found with my son that if he had on anything that would "catch" his pee/poo (be it pull-ups, underwear, etc) he would use it instead of even trying to use the potty. Once he was naked he had to think about what to do - he was fully trained within just a few days... GOOD LUCK!

Linda Westover said...

Candace, it is so great that you are a survivor!! Your attitude
sets you apart as one special lady!

Let us know if you need a place to stay before/after the reunion. We do have extra beds at our house.

Brenda Sue said...

It's amazing how strong you are Candace! I would have had an emotional breakdown LONG ago if I were in your shoes!

As for potty training, my sister in law is in the same boat with her 3 year old little boy. Try the "commando" idea. I can't offer more advice than that since I don't have kids.

And in response to my Mom's statement, its amazing what happens when 7 kids move out of your house.. You end up with all these extra rooms!
Sure love you!

Karen said...

If it didn't make you cry, it would almost be laughable! I glad we're getting it all recorded on the family blog. I thought for sure you we're going to say the bug bite was West Nile!! Agreed...commando...outside on a nice sunny day, lots of liquids and the potty close by. Just remember, boys are ready physically long before they socially care. So ..no pressure or it can backfire. We love you. Stay strong.

Rhonda Shurtleff said...

I like Karen's addition to the commando by doing it outside. I thought maybe I'd try with Savannah on Monday and quickly changed my mind. Developmentally, she's been ready for a long time and has even gone both pee and poo before. But, she just doesn't want to. She sat on the potty for 20 minutes with nothing and then got up and played. I kept asking her every 10 minutes if she needed to sit on the potty, but she said no every time. After 30 minutes I found a huge puddle on the coffee table where she'd been playing. She didn't even tell me about it. So I'll give her more time and try again later in the summer so I can take advantage of the outside suggestion. Good luck!

April Bishop said...

The real anwer to potty training is to just have twins. So far, that has been the easiest twin thing. They potty trained each other in just a few days! Seriously though, I always just put my girls in panties and it seems like it only takes a few days for them to figure out they hate getting all wet and messy. Plus, I believe in sticker charts...